Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Do sharks play the cello?

I'm currently in a frenzy about sharks (yes, the pun was intended). Reason: I've always liked them, and have a healthy respect for them (ok, I couldn't watch Jaws until I was 14 or Deep Blue Sea until I was older because beyond comprehensible intelligence in sharks scares me). I went on the Jaws theme ride at Universal Studio in Japan, giggled the whole way through then cried for 5 mins after hopping off the boat... I don't even know why. That's pretty much behind me... but I'm fascinated by them.

I vie for the best seat in front of the TV if we're having a B-grade (mostly C and D-grade) movie nights, especially if the titles read something like this: Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus, Megalodon, Sharktopus and even Dinoshark. I have an array of shark books; albeit, most if not all are my brother's, but I can say that I am the only one who still reads them. My latest purchase is David Owen's SHARK: In Peril In The Sea and is the cause for the latest bout of shark intrigue. I'm still reading through it and am thoroughly enjoying the tidbits of information on the first records of sharks in human society to the importance of sharks as spiritual figures in most civilisations and cultures.

Sharks are important for the well being of the marine ecosystem. For a better perspective on why apex predators are so important in maintaining balance in an ecosystem, I recommend reading
Trophic Cascades: Predators, Prey, and the Changing Dynamics of Nature. Or read up on a publicly well-known example: Yellowstone NP wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment